- Mozambique (Portuguese: Moçambique) is a country on the Indian Ocean coast of Southern Africa bordered by South Africa to the south, Tanzania to the north and with inland borders with Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Swaziland.
Mozambique has 10 provinces that can be grouped into the following three regions:
Cabo Delgado, Nampula and Niassa provinces.
Manica, Sofala, Tete and Zambézia provinces.
Gaza, Inhambane Vilankulo and the Bazaruto National Sea Park, and Maputo provinces.
- Maputo – the thriving capital in the far south of the country.
- Beira – a busy port town and capital of Sofala Province.
- Vilanculos Bazaruto Archipelago the largest sea park on the African coast
- Inhambane – a pretty historic town on a bay.
- Nampula – an industrial city in the north and capital of Nampula Province.
- Bazaruto Archipelago – a beautiful island resort and underwater marine park with great diving, geared to high-end tourism.
- Cahora Bassa dam – Hydro-electric dam on the Zambezi river and the second largest man-made lake in Africa.
- Gorongosa National Park
- Quirimbas Archipelago & Quirimbas National Park – at the North of the country, a scenic and secluded holiday destination off the beaten track with lush African bush on the mainland and white sand beaches/crustal blue water in the Archipelago and on the coast. Accessible through Pemba.
- Ilha de Mozambique – a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the former capital under Portuguese rule.
- Pemba – in Northern Mozambique, a popular holiday destination for Mozambicans, although its isolation has kept it off the tourist route for most Western visitors.
- Ponta d’Ouro – a great dive spot, more easily accessible from South Africa than from Maputo.
- Tofo Beach – a backpacker haven on the coastline east of Inhambane with excellent diving.
- Vamizi Island – a tropical island having beautiful private villas on it. Amazing place for world class fishing and deep sea diving.
- Vilanculos – also known as Vilankulo is a popular holiday destination. The gateway to the Bazaruto Archipelago the largest Sea Park in africa with excellent scuba diving and snorkelling also well known for it’s deep sea fishing.
courtesy ® wikimedia